Thursday, January 15, 2009

Savannah turns 3...

I am in a bit of a state of shock. How is Savannah already 3? This last year has been such a blur, I can hardly believe we are officially finished with the "terrible twos". While she did give us a run for our money at times this year, it was still a delight watching her grow.

A year ago she was hardly speaking (and worrying her mother a bit) and now she is hardly silent (and driving her mother a bit crazy some days). She has learned to (mostly) dress herself, to sing her ABC's with remarkable accuracy, and to count to twenty. She has learned the names of the colors in her world and the words to her favorite songs. It is amazing how hungry she is for learning (if not for food - some things never change).

She has started observing other people's feelings. She can tell when Mama is having a tough day and she offers a hug. She gets upset if "baby sister" is crying. She is a sweet big sister. I have been amazed at how quickly she accepted her role and how much she loves Annabeth.

She is not the demure little girl I always thought I would have. She would rather run around than sit and read. She doesn't really understand the purpose of dolls. She loves cars and trucks. While she is not what I expected, she has exceeded all expectations of the person I hoped and prayed she would be.

She has been our teacher. I never knew someone so little could teach so much. First and foremost, she has taught me patience. I have always had precious little patience, but I have found it growing each year. She has taught me the importance of making sure my needs are met. She has taught me to mean what I say, because I guarantee she will test those words.

I can't imagine what this year will bring for her. It seems every time I think I know what is in store, I am shown how wrong I am. So, I will just hold on and enjoy the ride that is loving and parenting Savannah. So, here's to another astonishingly fast year ahead, as I am not expecting this ride to slow down any time soon. We love you very much sweet pea and we can't wait to find out what will fill the next chapter of your life.


No comments: